Castle Rock man who intended to join ISIS pleads guilty in federal terrorism case

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready…

A Castle Rock man arrested in 2023 as he attempted to board a flight at Denver International Airport pleaded guilty last week in a terrorism case, according to federal officials.

Read more Broncos boast lower over-under wins total than Chiefs, Chargers. Is that a mistake?

Davin Daniel Meyer, 21, took a deal and pleaded guilty Wednesday to attempting to provide material support or resources to a designated foreign terrorist organization, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, federal court records show.

Meyer faces up to 10 years in prison and a lifetime of supervised release, according to a proposed plea agreement filed last week in U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado. Without the plea agreement, Meyer’s sentence could include up to 20 years in prison and a fine up to $250,000.

Meyer turned 18 in November 2022, and shortly after began communicating with a person online he believed to be an ISIS facilitator, but who was actually an FBI informant, according to the criminal complaint. He repeatedly discussed his “radical Islamic ideology and his desire to provide support to ISIS by traveling to the Middle East to serve as a fighter,” federal investigators wrote in the complaint.

The man met several times with a second undercover FBI informant in Castle Rock, attempting to fund and prepare for his travel to join ISIS, according to the complaint.

Read more Denver reinstates online parking ticket challenges after outrage

Meyer was arrested at DIA on July 14, 2023, while attempting to board a flight to Turkey, where he believed he would meet with ISIS members and travel on to join the terrorist organization, the complaint alleged.

He was arrested on the jet bridge, after scanning his boarding pass but before stepping onto the plane, federal officials said in the complaint.

One person who knew Meyer told federal investigators that Meyer “wanted to travel to Syria and become a martyr, or if he did not make it to Syria, he wanted to kill people in the United States, including police and military members,” according to the complaint.

Read more Superintendent of Lookout Mountain youth detention center suspended amid state investigation

Meyer is set to be sentenced on Dec. 17, according to federal court records.

This is a developing story and may be updated.

Sign up to get crime news sent straight to your inbox each day.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *